Gary Neville erupts at Big Six’s European Super League plot ‘Deduct points from them all!’ | Football | Sport

Sports


Gary Neville has called the latest idea of a European Super League “an absolute scandal” ahead of a proposed announcement at 9.30pm tonight. Neville made his comments during the first half of Manchester United‘s match against Burnley on Sunday, where he was co-commentating. The former England international says all teams who have agreed to the proposals should have points deducted this season.

Neville’s former club United, as well as local rivals Manchester City, reigning Premier League champions Liverpool and London trio Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham have all agreed to the new proposal.

Neville was made aware of the news early on in the match between the Red Devils and Burnley.

The pundit believes the timing of the announcement is wrong and the English clubs involved should be “ashamed of themselves”.

ā€œIā€™m not against the modernisation of football competitions,” Neville said on Sky Sports.

Real, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are the three Spanish clubs who have agreed to the proposal.

Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan make up the 12 teams who are involved so far.

UEFA released a joint statement alongside the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A this afternoon, condemning the proposal.

The statement reads: “UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

“If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we ā€“ UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

“We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

“As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

“We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *