Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Oprah interview branded ‘betrayal of trust’ over editing | Royal | News

Top Stories


The Duke and Duchess of Sussexes’ tell-all interview has been heavily criticised for the incendiary claims they made against the Royal Family but the publisher of the Daily Mail has hit out at the show for another reason. The publisher has sent a legal letter to Harpo Productions and broadcasters CBS over its headline montage used in the programme, which it claims is misleading.

The Daily Mail’s publisher’s, Associated Newspapers (AN), have sent a number of legal letters to the two companies, with the latest complaint, sent on April 1, accusing them of refusing to address the issues raised.

AN group editorial legal director Elizabeth Hartley said: “I have stressed in each of my letters that this is an issue of accuracy and integrity.

“It is a betrayal of viewers’ trust to broadcast faked images.

“It is not our concern, but it also does nothing for your client’s reputation and the credibility of its programme content.”

The letter gave three examples of Harpo “fake editing” Daily Mail headlines, which were used to show the extremes the media was going to attack Meghan.

AN also gave nine examples of headlines by foreign publications it claims were “masquerading” as British press headlines.

Ms Hartley said: “Your client’s unwillingness to remove these false headlines and attributions, and it appears that there were more, speaks volumes.

“There is never any justification for falsifying content and, if their views were correct, it would not be necessary to deploy such underhand tactics.”

JUST IN: Archbishop of Canterbury shares first reaction to Meghan wedding claim

The Telegraph analysed more than 30 headlines used in the show that were portrayed as UK-based, and found that stories from 11 American and Australian tabloids were included.

The newspaper also found that headlines used by producers to allege racial bias by UK newspapers were actually reports exposing racial slurs made by others.

Harpo previously issued a statement saying: “Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, shared in the interview their personal story.

“We stand by the broadcast in its entirety.”

So far CBS has not responded to requests for a comment.

ITV, the broadcasters that aired the interview in the UK, decided to remove four headlines from the montage less than a week after it first aired.

An ITV spokesperson said: “Regarding the headlines the Mail on Sunday have drawn to our attention, we have taken steps to edit these on the ITV Hub.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *