Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s royal status compared to ‘life without parole’ | Royal | News

Top Stories


Justin Welby was speaking after the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes’ bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey last month. The couple used the interview to talk about their troubles within the Royal Family and why they decided to step down as senior royals in March 2020.

Speaking to the Financial Times about the royal pair, the archbishop commented: “It’s life without parole, isn’t it?

“If you go back to the 1930s, Edward VIII — he was still a celeb and followed everywhere once he’d abdicated. We expect them to be superhuman.”

During the Oprah interview, Meghan claimed she and Harry actually got married “three days before” their public wedding in May 2018.

She said: “You know, three days before our wedding we got married.

“No-one knows that, but we called the Archbishop and we just said, ‘look, this thing, this spectacle, is for the world, but we want our union between us’.”

Harry confirmed the account adding it had been “just the three of us”.

However, speaking to Italian newspaper la Repubblica Mr Welby denied this was an official service.

He said: “The legal wedding was on the Saturday.

READ MORE: Meghan author dismisses claims Duchess ‘smarter’ than Royal Family

He asserted: “I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.

“If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential.

“It doesn’t matter who I’m talking to. I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the Duke and Duchess before the wedding.”

Meghan used the Oprah interview to speak movingly about her mental health struggles, revealing she experienced suicidal thoughts and loneliness after marrying into the Royal Family.

She also claimed “concerns and conversations” about Archie’s skin colour were raised within the family prior to his birth.

In a statement on behalf of the Queen, Buckingham Palace expressed regret at Meghan’s struggles which it said would be addressed “privately”.

However, it added “some recollections may differ” about the events described by the Duchess and Prince Harry.

The Sussexes caused a global sensation in January 2020 when they announced their intention to step down as senior members of the Royal Family.

Instead, the couple vowed to become “financially independent” and moved to California shortly before the state went into coronavirus lockdown.

They currently live in an £11.2 million mansion to the north of Los Angeles.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *