Prince Harry under huge pressure to give up royal titles as petition nears 60k | Royal | News

Top Stories


Royal author Lady Colin Campbell launched the petition two weeks ago urging the Duke of Sussex – who has quit royal duties for a new life in America with Meghan Markle – to voluntarily give up his titles. And by 9pm on Friday, it had been signed by a staggering 57,000 people.

The petition by Lady C calls on the Queen’s grandson to put his royal titles into abeyance.

She insists the move would free him from the “diplomatic, political and constitutional constraints that are an inevitable part of royal rank”.

The petition says: “The purpose is to invite Prince Harry to voluntarily ask the Queen to put his royal style, titles and rank into abeyance, thereby freeing him from the diplomatic, political and constitutional constraints that are an inevitable part of royal rank, and further freeing him from the constitutional conflicts which his beliefs are creating, with all their implications at home and abroad, in particular in the United Kingdom and the United States of America, where his articulated beliefs are in open conflict with the accepted tenets of both the United Kingdom and American constitutions.

“As a purely private citizen, with no royal rank, style or title, he will be able to indulge his personal beliefs, as is the right of all private citizens, without the consequential possibility of damaging the institution of the monarchy or relations between friendly powers, and will be free to articulate beliefs, no matter how objectionable, without the fallout that is otherwise inevitable as long as he possesses royal status.

“His invitation to the Sovereign, being of his own accord, will resolve conflicts that would otherwise be inevitable, and will permit him to enjoy the credit of having put both national and international interests above his own, personal ones, in the process gaining him respect that he otherwise will not enjoy.”

Lady C also told the Daily Star: “I started it because I think it’s the right thing to do.

“I have spoken to people, many people, who think it’s the right thing to do and it is the solution.

“It is a dignified solution for all concerned.

READ MORE: Prince Harry & Meghan Markle to take ‘time off’ work when baby is born

However the pair have lashed out at the royals in a series of interviews in the wake of Megxit.

Harry and Meghan made a series of damaging claims about the Royal Family in their Oprah Winfrey interview, which aired in March.

The Duke insisted his father Prince Charles and brother Prince William were “trapped” in the monarchy.

He went on to describe life as a member of the Royal Family as “a mixture between The Truman Show and being in a zoo” during an appearance on the Armchair Expert podcast last month.

And in his Apple TV documentary series, The Me You Can’t See, Harry accused the royals of “total neglect” and warned he would “never be bullied into silence” in the future.

Harry and former actress Meghan quit as working royals in March 2020.

They are now living in a mansion in Montecito and are pursuing new lives of personal and financial freedom.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *